Exciting News! Interviews Coming Soon...
As you may know from reading this blog, I have teamed up with a publishing company and book promotion company to get free books in exchange for honest reviews. Thanks to this relationship, I have an opportunity to speak with the publisher and share ideas for blog posts.
You may wonder how authors start writing or why a book has a certain character, I know I do! So, I requested time for an interview with a couple of the authors whose books I'm reading. This opportunity will give you and me insight into the thoughts and background of published authors.
I don't want to spoil too much, but figured other bloggers may be interested in what kinds of questions to write when prepping for an interview. My prep time for this was under ten minutes with a note pad and pen. I just started jotting down questions I had about writing, the author, their book, and how to contact them. These are the general questions. Then, I did a little research on my own. With a quick Google search you can read biographies from social networks, see other books the author wrote, and maybe skim their twitter feed to learn more about them.
I normally do a quick search of books and authors for most of my book reviews to give readers a lazy way of connecting with the books, purchasing them, and finding their new favorite author online. Heck some of the authors I've blogged about are now friends and have some of the best social profiles I know of. When I'm bored, Brian Rathbone's dragon jokes never fail.
Without further ado, here are a few basic questions to use when interviewing an author. I would suggest including a few specific questions about the book, characters, plot, and their hobbies or recent accomplishments.
- How did you get started writing?
- What inspires you? It may be a little cliche to ask, but what is the hardest part of finishing a book?
- Do you have a background or education in English, Literature, or journalism?
- Who does most of your editing?
- How did you find your current or first publisher?
- Have you ever considered self publishing?
- What do you consider the best way to promote a book? Do you have a publicist or rely on reviews and social media?
About the Author
- Do you enjoy reading? If so, what are your favorite genres and why?
- Who are your favorite authors?
- What is your all-time favorite book?
- What is your favorite pass time? Do you do this pass time/hobby often?
- What does a day in your life look like?
- Do you plan to write another book soon?
Contact the Author
- Please provide a brief bio and image or a video introduction.
- Do you have a website?
- Are you on social media? (Shelfari, GoodReads, Twitter, Amazon)
About the Book
- Why did you write this book?
- How does this genre call to you?
- Are their any "scenes" you had to cut out that you loved?
- What is your favorite quote from the book?
- Who is your favorite character?
- Did anyone or thing inspire a character?
- Can you personally relate to the book? How?
- When did you start writing it?